There are many accommodation options available to international students in Australia.


Students can stay with their parents, relatives or local family members.  This is the preferred option if the family are located in the same city as where the student will be studying. 

Aus accommodation 1 


A very popular option offering the student the opportunity to learn English and experience cultural exchange by living with an Australian family.  Most homestay families are located in or near major cities with easy access to public transport (i.e. train, bus, tram).


  • A clean, furnished room (includes items like a bed, wardrobe, chair, study lamp)
  • A supportive family environment to live in
  • Meals (usually 2 meals per day)
  • Utilities (however overseas phone calls and internet usage to be discussed)
  • Contents insurance for students

Costs (per week)

  • Rent A$250-300 (this fee also includes laundry, snacks, electricity and gas)
  • Public Transport A$25
 Aus accommodation 2


Living on campus is a great way to make the most of university life. Students live in dormitories or residences at or near the institution. Some on-campus colleges also offer catering (dinners, lunches, breakfasts), as well as social activities, study support, and recreation facilities (gym, swimming pool, tennis court).  On-campus living offers convenience with easy access to the lectures theatres, libraries, and classrooms. It is also a safe and supportive environment in which to live and learn, with access to a wide range of support services coordinated by institute staff.


  • Single bed
  • High-speed Internet access (additional charges may apply for Internet access)
  • Telephone (free on-campus phone calls)
  • Desk (with bookshelves) and desk chair
  • Wardrobe and cupboards
  • Heater

Costs (per week)

  • Rent A$200-350
  • Public Transport A$25
  • Recreation A$40
  • Clothing & personal amenities A$25 - 30
 Aus accommodation 3

Independent / Shared / Off-campus living

Shared accommodation is another popular and affordable living option for international students. Usually the accommodation is located in the suburban areas of the campus city.  The student can live alone or with others (shared) and must pay rent and buy food independently.  This type of accommodation can be either fully furnished or have no furniture (however, shared accommodation usually has furniture available).  This option also requires the student to pay bills (or share payment of bills) for water, electricity, gas etc.  This is the ideal option for independent students.


  • Maybe fully or partially furnished

Costs (per week)

  • Shared rent (with other students) A$100-250
  • Independent rent A$280-400
  • Utilities/bills A$150 (phone + internet)
  • Food A$60-100
  • Public Transport A$25
  • Recreation A$40
  • Clothing & personal amenities A$25 - 30
Aus accommodation 4

Accommodation and Welfare (under 18 years of age)

International students under 18 years of age must have a guardian. The guardian provides support, accommodation, food, and general welfare for the child whilst in Australia.  As per the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) regulations, students under 18 years of age must live with a parent, relative, legal custodian or homestay accommodation arranged by the relevant State Department for the duration of their stay at a government school. Failure to adhere to this condition will result in cancellation of the student’s enrolment.

Students under 18 years of age have three options for accommodation and welfare:

  1. They may live with their parents or a relative approved by DIBP (i.e. a parent or step-parent, an aunt or uncle or a grandparent or step-grandparent).
  2. The student may nominate a family friend. This person is required to be approved by the State Department or institution and meet the specific requirements.
  3. The student may request homestay accommodation, to be arranged through the State Department or institution. Homestay provides the opportunity for students to live with an Australian family. This is a very popular option (even for students over 18 years old), as the student can make Australian friends, embrace the Australian lifestyle and improve their English language.

If you are a family member and would like to apply for a guardian visa, please click here.

Plus Education Support & Guarantee

We assist with finding the best accommodation for your needs.  We work closely with your chosen institution to find the most appropriate location and facilities. We guarantee a safe, suitable, appropriate accommodation.  We guarantee to find a solution if you are not happy with your first accommodation option (i.e. change accommodation).



Copyright © 2014. Plus Consultants Pty. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.